Monday, October 4, 2010

Random Recipe Review

Well, we ended up having last week's Random Recipe last night after some unexpected take away on Friday. As a result everything on the plan got bumped back a day. The Random Recipe for last week was Pasta Primavera from Rose Elliot's The Classic Vegetarian.

As is my usual with recipes that aren't baking and don't call for exact measurements or ingredients I changed it up a bit in terms of both ingredients and cooking technique. If I followed Rose's instructions I would have used 5 different saucepans to cook 5 different green vegetables! I don't think so! I also added garlic and spring onion to the butter sauce. I omitted the broad beans because I couldn't find any anywhere, as well as the chives because our chive plants are too small yet to harvest any. I added broccoli and frozen peas too.



So here is my take on Rose Elliot's Pasta Primavera!

250g long pasta, spaghetti or fettucini
60g butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 spring onions, sliced
handful of frozen peas (Rose gave exact weights for all the vegies, but I just chucked some in!)
handful of green beans
handful of snow peas
small head of broccoli, stalk and flowerets chopped
small bunch of parsley, chopped

In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta and broccoli, adding green beans and frozen peas after a few minutes and adding snow peas just before the pasta is cooked.
Meanwhile in a frying pan saute the garlic and spring onion in butter, adding parsley at the end.
Drain pasta and return to pot, stir through the butter sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with parmesan!

It was a big hit, especially Elliot who requested it for dinner again tomorrow night! We were doing our meal plan for next week at the time so I told him that we'd have it another night later in the week.

Speaking of meal plans, here is our plan for the week:

Monday
Roasted pumpkin risotto
Tuesday
Boiled chicken with aioli
Random recipe from The Mediterranean Collection p72
Wednesday
Pasta primarvera
Thursday
My birthday dinner - surprise!
Friday
Lamb and spinach curry, brown rice and steamed veg
Saturday
Fried rice with egg and veg
Sunday
Pepper steak with mashed sweet potato and steamed veg

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vic, Keep sharing your recipes :D Your Wholemeal and Oat Pancake recipe is now a permanent in our home and I've taught my big boy to make them. He's super excited about it and can rattle the ingredients off from memory. I like your menu planner. Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do wish you were going to be here on Thursday :( !! All the usual fun of deciding what to eat etc. Will miss you!!

    ReplyDelete