Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Testing The Boundaries

Today has been a very trying parenting day.

We're all still a bit out of sync from a health scare of Matt's on Sunday night that saw him and I in the Emergency Room for a bit over four hours, and then me up with Archie until 2am when we got home. We had left both boys sleeping at home with Matt's Aunty, but he woke up at about 11pm and wouldn't re-settle. We got home at 12:30am to see Archie and Matt's Aunty reading books in the dimly-lit lounge room! Elliot slept through the whole thing!

So we had a quiet day yesterday (apart from some very exciting news that I'll post about tomorrow!). Matt had the day off and spent most of the day relaxing on the lounge. I did our usual Monday stuff, playing at a friend's house in the morning, home for lunch and sleeps, then a walk to the butcher in the afternoon. Archie had a terrible nights sleep last night, probably still getting over being up for 5 hours the night before.

So this morning I thought we'd all be refreshed and we headed off to music, our newly found Tuesday morning activity. The boys love their music time, singing songs, bopping around and playing instruments. After a 30 minute music session, morning tea is provided (for Mum's and kids!!!) and then the kids have a bit of a play. Well it all was going beautifully until playtime.

Elliot is having trouble keeping his hands off Archie, and not in a good way. He has never done anything super hurtful or mean, just niggly little squeeze here, nudge there. It is however enough to just plain wear me down. I've tried everything I can think of. We have ignored the negative and super-praised the positive. We've been super strict and called him on it every single time. I've yelled. I've spoken to him calmly. I'm ashamed to admit that I have even squeezed his fingers to show him that it hurts. All these things have done absolutely nothing.

At playtime today at music a few of the boys were playing on a little stage at one end of the hall, Elliot and Archie were both up there. Elliot and Archie were walking around together and El was holding Archie's jumper, they were getting close to the edge and before I could say anything Archie was over the edge! It was absolutely horrible. I yelled. Archie did the silent cry, you know, when they are in so much shock or pain that no sound comes out. I cried. Elliot sat with a completely stunned look on his face. Thank goodness most of the people had left and there were only a few friends to witness the debacle. Not one of my finest parenting moments.

Unfortunately the day didn't get much better. Archie has only had a short sleep, El no sleep at all. I had a fall carrying Archie and slammed my back into the handles of a chest of drawers. We had to go to a meeting at the bank this afternoon (with two tired, cranky, over it boys) and they ran riot. They were noisy, ignored all the toys and food I had packed and made it so difficult. When we left all the ladies at the counter gave us those "poor you, you've got horrible children" looks. So I got back in the car and cried again.

So now we'll have early dinner, early baths, early bed and pray that tonight is a good night, and tomorrow is a better day.

Oh, if anyone has any advice about El's little issue, anything we could try, please, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment