Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Creative Space

Today is a very exciting day for me because tonight is ... wait for it ... our first ever "Craft Circle"!!!!!

Over the past few months I've developed a lovely circle of womenfolk, most of whom are crafty or want to be. After talking about starting a formal 'craft time' last week I decided to take the plunge and really get things happening! So tonight is the night! We decided evenings would be better because the children would be asleep, therefore less distracting, plus we could legitimately indulge in wine and dessert! Bliss! In fact the catalyst for these nights was a lovely night a friend and I had one Saturday evening when she came around for a knitting lesson and brought the most decadent chocolate mousse!

Anyway, there should be about 7 or 8 of us which I'm sure will make for an enjoyable evening! Some are knitters, some are crocheters, some are sewers and some are beginner knitters! One lady is even bringing a lino tile that she is designing on. I'm so excited to learn new skills and share my (somewhat limited) skills too.

As well as this, My Creative Space today is continuing on these slippers I've made as a bit of a prototype. I tend to practise on cheaper wool when projects contain new elements, just in case I stuff it up massively. I want to make another pair of these (in decent wool) for a friend's birthday coming up. Luckily for me they're really quick to knit up. I did the first one in a couple of days, so could easily whip up a pair in a week.


I'm really happy with how they've turned out! It's been a steep learning curve because I've never knitted in the round before, nor have I knitted an attached I-Cord. Both went off without a hitch I'm pleased to say! I can also say it was a pleasure to not have to sew seams at the end of the project. That is definitely my least favourite part of knitting!

 One more thing for those mums reading, I should have listened to that Mother's Instinct when things were too quiet yesterday. Elliot and I were on the verandah. He was doing puzzles, I was knitting. I thought Archie was inside playing in El's room. I thought I'd better go and check, just in case. This is what I found:

I knew it was too quiet! I just relieved he didn't put it in the toilet!

Head over to Kootoyoo to check out what some others are creating!

Happy creations!!!

20 comments:

  1. A craft circle – I’m so jealous! I think I should make moves to set one up too – instead of just being green every time I hear about another one! Enjoy, I sure your will all have a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met with the quilt girls (we call ourself Sparkles), I can't tell you how good it is to sit round a table with like thinking mines. We just drooled over each others purchases for the month mainly and read mags. My daughter would have stuffed it all and more down the toilet... really glad she is out of that phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek - I'm always very suspicious when my 3-year old is quiet. Those slippers look fun. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slippers look terrific! I bet they are cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun, I have a regular group I go to and it is so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so many new readers! Thanks for coming by! We are very excited about the craft circle, maybe we should have a name too Amanda. I'll see what everyone thinks tonight!
    Kirsty the slippers are very cosy but they are going to be my SILs Xmas pressie. I'm really bad at projects for myself, I'll have to get on to that! Vic xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a lot of fun Vic. I haven't been to a craft group but had a craft afternoon with my mother and sister in law which I really enjoyed. The slippers look lovely and warm.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tres jealous of your new crafting circle... I want to come! Lovely slippers, I am sure your SIL will love them... if you don't decide to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky to have crafting group - what fun!!!

    I love the colors in those cozy slippers.

    p.s. I have also been the "victim" of some toilet paper decorating... gotta love it! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. My craft circle meet up on Wednesdays and we have such a great, inspiring time. We do have a name too - Craft Lovers on the Hill AKA "CLOTH". I hope your new craft circle brings you great friends, fab creations and yummy desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So let me see if I've interpreted your post correctly - your creative space is the toilet and Archie TP-ed it. Correct?

    Have a good night being crafty in circle formation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep Helen, that's pretty much it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Helen is so witty!! I'm envious of your craft circle too, if I had one it might inspire me to get back into cross stitch. Who knows, it still might :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmm, now my guess as to who this anonymous is. Wendy? Allison? You guys are the only two I know who do cross stitch! Vic xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey!! there is one more person who does cross stitch and you have a couple of her creations in your home!! Admittedly, I haven't done any for a while but I am starting to feel inspired. Craft circles work their magic even from afar!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. MUM!!!! Yay! They are beautiful pieces too. Next time you're up you'll have to come! Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vic! I just found your lovely blog and wanted to say hello! I LOVE the idea of a craft circle! Sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Slow and steady with the commenting I am! But just wanted to chip in and say that I love the sound of the craft circle, your slippers are gorgeous and that toilet destruction scene is all too familiar...

    ReplyDelete